In view of the attitude of the Greek letter fraternities, it was natural for a group of men at the Maine State College to accept a charter from the Q.T.V. fraternity, founded at the Massachusetts Agricultural College in 1869. On February 28, 1874, David P. Penhallow, M.A.C., 1873, installed the Orono chapter of Q.T.V., the second chapter of that fraternity. The charter members were John I. Gurney, 1874; David R.Huner, 1874; Charles F. Colesworthy, 1875; Alfred M. Goodale, 1875; Edson F. Hitchings, 1875; George M. Shaw, 1875; and Sidney S. Soule, 1875.
The college authorities were inclined to look with doubt upon the fraternity idea, but a committee waited upon President Allen to give him information he desired. Dr. M.C. Fernald, then Professor of Mathematics and Physics, and himself a fraternity man, used his influence favorably. A statement of the principles and objects of the fraternity was laid before the trustees which proved satisfactory to that body.
The pioneer fraternity prospered from the start, but it did not remain long wihtout opposition, for on September 25, 1875, the Eternal Companions (E.C.) Society was organized by William T. Haines, 1876, and eleven associates. This society was formed with a definite purpose of obtaining a charter from a Greek letter fraternity. The endorsement was secured of prominent alumni of one of the leading eastern fraternities, but it soon became apparent that the prejudice against the land grant colleges was so great as to make success impossible in this or any other of the older eastern fraternities. The idea of a charter from a Greek letter fraternity, however, was firmly fixed, and an offer was declined of a charter from D.G.K., a fraternity which, like Q.T.V., had been established at the Massachusetts Agricultural College.
The members of the local chapter of Q.T.V. had become dissatisfied with that fraternity as early as 1891. It had established a third chapter at New Hampshire College, the affiliated with Dartmouth, in 1881, and a few years later entered Pennsylvania State, Worcester Polytechnic, and Cornell, but the Worcester and Cornell chapters disbanded and that at Pennsylvania State entered Kappa Sigma. The lack of success of the extension policy had much to do with the dissatisfaction of the Orono chapter, which finally, in 1899, withdrew and immediately entered Phi Gamma Delta. Most of the Q.T.V. alumni have affiliated with that fraternity.